Skip to content

Category Archives: Community

Style Statement Buddy

I’m big on buddies. One of my best buds, Carrie McCarthy, wrote a short article called “Style Statement Buddy” on her website. It includes a great how-to list for setting up a weekly buddy call and reaping the benefits.

Healing Broadcasts

Over the past months I’ve come across several immensely helpful free broadcast services that offer healing wisdom via phone and Internet: Healing With the Masters – Teleseminar intensives with a hot line-up of speakers, presented by Jennifer McLean. I recently listened to this series’ interview of Alison Armstrong – nationally known teacher and expert on […]

Laughing in Our Human Suits

Do you have to be so picky about the lights / music / temperature? Cripes! My human suit is so finely calibrated, ain’t it? And itchy, too. Well, tough noogies. We’re both stuck with it until I reunite with the mother ship. * * * Sometimes HSP seems to stand for highly serious person. Where […]

Chance Encounters | Kari Medig

Hold on to the line from the hook of a chance encounter long enough and new worlds lift into view. Time and the random toss of life have a way of separating us, but sheer curiosity often makes me hold on anyway, following the dives and spins, pining for the meaning beneath the waves, the […]

Specifics Trump Stereotypes

Our landlord, who lives downstairs, is a 70-year-old Chinese man who’s a crazy-great ballroom dancer. He’s gotten several patents on inventions he’s made since he retired. He sings heavily accented cheesy 70s pop hits at the top of his lungs and he’s pretty good at it (my husband and I always stop to listen). He […]

Make the Most of Your Public Library

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” Jorge Luis Borges For a vast selection of cheap thrills, head to … your local public library. But dig deep. Books are only the tip of the iceberg. These days, with the Internet acting as connector and entire regions pooling their resources, even […]

The Fun of Change

“Social change is so much more fun when you sing.” ~ James Keelaghan Every summer we spend the weekend of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival immersed in a culture replete with the fun side of social enlightenment and positive change. Musicians sing about righting injustices, bridging gaps, and including everyone. Truths come to light, tolerance […]

The Benevolent Love Bomb

The term “love bomb” has an iffy pedigree, an association with cults and the recruitment of love-starved loners. I went on the offensive and love-bombed him. Sparkly sparkle charm quarks pinging out of my eyes, gosh he was the nicest man I had met all day ping ping, I would be so grateful for any […]

Successfully Sensitive | Denise Smith

Event Planner and Founder of Chicks Who Click Denise thrives in her work as a professional communitarian (she’s inspired me to invent a new word), fostering connections as an event planner for Metzger Associates and the founder of ChicksWhoClick.net – a system of one-day networking conferences in different cities, to help people “Create. Connect. Collaborate.” […]

Dare to Be Vulnerable

What keeps us from showing our vulnerabilities? For me, it’s the fear of being teased or derided or – worst of all – pitied. Better to be on the safe side and keep my true but imperfect self hidden, I reason, rather than expose myself to ridicule. Sad choice. And one I must now argue […]

Commit to Difference

We are here now. Here and now we can make a difference. No argument. No excuses. Only committment. We are already committed, whether we choose to believe we are or not. Commit to the commitment. “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.” ~ Frodo “So do […]

Blind Dates Grow Up

My husband and I are both … hmm … how shall I put this? Let’s go with finely tuned and move on. We’re also products of different cultures. (I’ve often thought of charging admission to some of our entertaining conversations: the optimistic, anything-is-possible American (me) exchanging views with the pessimistic Cold-War-era German from West Berlin.) […]

Highly Sensitive Power Updates

Welcome to the newly updated look of Highly Sensitive Power. The home page is now a static page rather than the blog. I wanted to give the other parts of the website which are continually growing more opportunities to be found. The Blog remains as it was, but now requires a click from the home […]

A Moment of Silence, Please

When I talk with highly sensitive people, I’m often struck by the length of their pauses before speaking. If their brains are like mine, what’s going on is an intense sorting of all the possibilities, scanning and deciding which of the many things that could be said will be said. Sure, I love the banter […]

Creative Collaboration in Great Groups

I’m always jonesing for creative collaboration, and the more I get, the more I want. There’s magic when teamwork morphs into incredible synergy. Part of the attraction is my own nature (after all, my Style Statement is Timeless Connection), but another big part has to do with the direction our collective consciousness seems to be […]